<span class="highlight">Waeco</span> Fridges Vs Other Brands

Ok...anyone want to take this one on...I read through archives on here and seem to find a lot of Waeco problems...We have had a Waeco 50Ltr fridge/freezer in to be fixed since mid June, it is still under warranty (just) and the service agent has replaced the thermistor and the mother board and still the fridge refuses to work properly....He said that he is still trying to work it out with Waeco as to whats going on with the fridge.....Maybe this fridge is just a lemon. Maybe its time for us to replace it with a different brand...
What Brands have been the best for you...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Moose - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 13:04

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 13:04
Trailblaza - owned for yonks (probably close to 20 years). One issue. Fixed promptly.
AnswerID: 379438

Follow Up By: Nickywoop - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 14:29

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 14:29
Moose,

Had my Trailblaza for near 15 years. The old blue dog stood up on it (built from marine grade aluminium) for years on the tray of the cruiser looking over the rack. It has never missed a beat and in my travels with many people with all makes and models of fridges (which I must say in fairness worked OK if you kept plenty of power up to them) that the Trailblaza come up trumps.

Remember one thing when purchasing a fridge, if one of the accessories is an insulated cover, the manufacturer is admitting their fridge could have been better insulated.

Nick
FollowupID: 646812

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 15:13

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 15:13
So Nickywoop by your reconing whom ever what when where and why designed the human body IE: the manufacturer , stuffed up ??
FollowupID: 646816

Reply By: Member - Clay S (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 13:42

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 13:42
I reckon you may have got a lemon, my weaco has done tour duty in pretty rough conditions then is plugged in at home all the time and not a problem. The lid needed a bit of draft seal as theres quite a gap the cold can escape (warm air enter...) but its a good unit. Reliable and efficient, even when its hot it doesn't seem to run that much it just needs good ventilation around the motor. I also like the turbo button for a "quick cool". Don't pay full price go to the waeco seconds website (getawaeco) and sometimes they have really good deals on ex-demos - picked my 50L up for $700 it had a few marks but forgot about them after a week! If its going to be around sun or back of the car the weaco insulating cover seems to help a bit. Probably the only negative thing I can think of is if you are using it in the back of a metal lined truck the plastic exterior would probably get knocked about a bit and a metal cased fridge (Engel) would take the knocks a bit better.
AnswerID: 379441

Follow Up By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 14:35

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 14:35
Hi Clay.
Have to agree with your comments.
I bought my 50L Waeco at their seconds sale in 2002.Had the thermistor replaced in 2006 & fridge is still going strong.
Vince
FollowupID: 646814

Reply By: Rut Tearer - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 15:07

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 15:07
I think its fair to say Waeco sell far more fridges than Engel and other brands so it stands to reason that you will read about more problems. Unless off course we are comparing Toyota with other brands, where even though Toyota sell more vehicles we read more about Nissan issues etc etc. On Waeco I think they have their fair share of issues and perhaps Trailblazer or Engel are better built and more robust, not sure on this, perhaps someone in the fridge market knows?
AnswerID: 379451

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 15:29

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 15:29
My vote is ENGEL
Had our 40ltr for 14years without trouble. It has been treated pretty rough over this time living its first 5 years in the back of the ute under a canopy and tied down. We also use it at home for the xmas drinks etc where it seems to be always opened but still keeps the liquid of life cold.
Mostly lives in the back of the Patrol now and is in use constantly.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 379457

Follow Up By: A J - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 17:11

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 17:11
Dodger - I am with you on this vote - we purchased our in 1985 and it is still going strong. Has not had a service or any parts replaced to date.

Engel is the way I will go again when I have to.

A J
FollowupID: 646832

Follow Up By: Serendipity of Mandurah (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 19:18

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 19:18
My Vote is for Engel too. I had one for 18years that I bought second hand from father in law who had it for 12 years and he bought it second hand. I sold it working strong as ever to upgrade to a 40 litre. Had that now for 8 years. Did not have a problem with either of them living in the Northern Territory - going on many safari treks and even through Arnhem land.

Last year we bought a camper that came with 2 waeco fridges. In the first 12 months both broke down (one twice) and had to have all sorts of parts replaced.Thermistor, main motherboard, internal fuse.

I like the internal light on the Waeco and the little section for small items but find it hard to see how the internal 40lt size is the same as my Engel 40lt. The waeco just doesn't look as big.

The Engel looks, feels, more robust than the Waeco. From my experience the Engel is tougher.

David

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 646847

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 19:52

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 19:52
To anyone
Personal experience tells me that: where one has a very tough plastic case the other has a metal skin. One will take the knocks without a dent or even deep scratches whereas the other dents and scratches and does gets rust in those scratches under similar conditions, one can be strapped down securely by the HD handles whereas the other with metal bar handles flattened at the end & screwed on can possibly bend if handled the same way. As I own both I do know these facts to be true.

The one that has sold the metal skinned fridge NOW sells them with a plastic case!!!!! kind of like Coke Cola changing the formula eh???

Both however perform well under severe conditions. Its all about the Beer.

To say any one is so much better than the other is just a case of personal preference rather than irrefutable facts IMHO

Cheers Colin.
FollowupID: 646860

Follow Up By: Member - ross m (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 23:11

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 23:11
The fridge comparos in 4wd magazines repeat it over and over.
Nearly all the major players make a decent firdge.

Buy the one that suits your pocket and style.

I have a Waeco CF50 and I like the plastic casing,not a speck of rust anywhere.

FollowupID: 646894

Reply By: Member - Gary J (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 15:30

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 15:30
M&T,
Only relatively short term (18 months), but I have an ABR Sidewinder bought from Derek Bester. It has been to Cape York and through outback QLD (corrugations you know) without drama. It has worked fine under a ute canopy at around 45+ degrees, been covered in fine red dust (bull) and still performed great.

It is quite inexpensive when compared with same size fridges from the major players.
AnswerID: 379458

Reply By: gbc - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 15:51

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 15:51
I'll vote for my evakool. Been running in the back of my ute non stop for three years now without a hitch. Got hit by a forklift tyne which tore out the fridge slide, just a small scar in the fibreglass which was rectified with a smear of white sikaflex. Had an 60l engel combi prior to that and anyone who thinks the metal exterior of one of those will stand up to much more than a harsh stare is kidding themselves. Not to mention the nightmare of cleaning the thing after a trip - (just hose out the evakool). The old boy runs two 33l waecos in his cruiser and apart from broken fan blades (foreign object damage) they have been a good buy for him. Trailblazers/snapper fridges etc are top line robust things as long as they fit where you want them to fit. I've found most times when buying fridges, its the shape of the item that ultimately wins the sale - for me anyway.
AnswerID: 379464

Follow Up By: gbc - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 15:53

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 15:53
Just to qualify - the exterior of the newer engels not the old brown dogs or the green/yellow ones.
FollowupID: 646820

Reply By: X_PAC6969 - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 18:00

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 18:00
I don't have a Waeco but have got a Engle fridge/freezer never missed a beat
AnswerID: 379482

Reply By: ob - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 18:37

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 18:37
I don't know where you are in WA but take a trip to Lyons in Kewdale, they sell and repair both Engel and Waeco and ask the man behind the counter

Cheers ob
AnswerID: 379492

Follow Up By: Member - ross m (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 23:14

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 23:14
To save us all a trip out there,maybe you could tell us and the man behind the counter wont pull all his hair out
FollowupID: 646895

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 19:33

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 19:33
Martin & Tina Z I find this thread a bit hard to understand.
I own both a Waeco 60ltr & an Engel 50ltr and both work well and have done for a very long time.

I did have a problem under warranty with the Waeco and found them to be top rate in their handling of my problem, and I am not alone in saying that about Waeco's service, not to be confused with an agents service. My repair took 4 working days with an apology from Waeco for taking "so long".

I suspect that the agent might be the weak link here. Have you spoken to Weaco directly, as I found them very easy to deal with????

I suggest you do speak to their warranty dept and raise your concern with them, as 2 months is a ridiculous amount of time for a repair even allowing time for parts to come from Qld etc & out of character for the company.

I have also had a problem with the Engel that was out of warranty at the time, mechanical things do go wrong from time to time.
AnswerID: 379507

Reply By: howesy - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 19:50

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 19:50
A comparison was done some years ago which is why I got the brand I did and another one has just been done again under all sorts of conditions.
Here is is
In total power consumption over 48 hrs with varied temps they are as follows from lowest to highest consumption.
Evakool
Bushman
waeco
ARB
Engel
National Luna
Explorer

With a 60 degree ambient temp the compressor on times from lowest to highest were
Bushman
Evakool
National Luna and waeco tied
ARB
Engel and explorer tied

There were other tests done and in the end it appeared that at an ambient temp of 37 degrees constant the ones that use the least power to keep temps constant and accurate were
evakool and Bushman
AnswerID: 379510

Follow Up By: howesy - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 20:00

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 20:00
All things taken in such as design capacity strength features and god knows how many other factors, for what ever reasons they rated ARB as their 1st pick and Waeco as their runner up. These 2 brands advertise in their magazine but im sure that has nothing to do with it. i prefer to go by the stats of power usage compressor on times, ability to maintan temps within a 4 degree range etc. So I dont own an ARB or a Waeco and mines never been repaired. 3 trips around aust. and numerous others including weekly use to transport shopping home. Its now 6 years old.
FollowupID: 646863

Follow Up By: you eat the bear - Wednesday, Aug 19, 2009 at 11:11

Wednesday, Aug 19, 2009 at 11:11
I'll give the Bushman a tick.
Never had any issues with mine 6 years on, robust handles for tie down and power usage is low (handy when you are at camp for 3 or 4 days).
Also on special at the moment I believe, at under $1,000.
FollowupID: 646923

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 20:33

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 20:33
Autofridge.
12 years and still going strong.
Lots of rough trips, but looked after.
Run continuously at home in shed.
Keeps beer cold.....verrrrry cold.
Good gear, but pricey at current prices.
Can use as eutectic fridge when camped for extra days.....good.
Great on battery power.
Would like a slightly bigger one now with billy lids.

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 379518

Reply By: garryk - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 20:37

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2009 at 20:37
G'day
We went looking at both Engle and Waeco when shopping for a fridge freezer and came home with the Evakool and are happy that we did
One other point they are Australian made , and that is a bonus

Garry
AnswerID: 379519

Reply By: A J - Wednesday, Aug 19, 2009 at 15:56

Wednesday, Aug 19, 2009 at 15:56
Martin & Tina - saw some figures the other day on another forum about which fridge would you buy. 334 people responded.

Engel 115 or 49.15%
Waeco 61 26.07%
Evakool 15 6.41%
Autofridge 10 4.27%
Trailblazer 13 5.56%
Other 20 or 8.55%

A J
AnswerID: 379583

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Wednesday, Aug 19, 2009 at 23:36

Wednesday, Aug 19, 2009 at 23:36
with-out knowing the size etc it looks like the fridge purchase is based on price to a very big degree

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 647017

Reply By: Member - Mike W (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 19, 2009 at 18:11

Wednesday, Aug 19, 2009 at 18:11
I own an engel 40 lt and I'm very happy with it. I believe they have stood the test of time and are solidly built. I do like the trailblazer, and believe they are worth every cent.
I don't think I'd ever buy a Waeco but funnily enough my pick is the (Waeco built) ARB fridge
I like how you set the temp setting and it automatically keeps it there. The drain in the bottom is a good thing to.

I guess its like the Holden v Ford or Toyota v Nissan We will be having this discussion ten years from now.
AnswerID: 379593

Follow Up By: Member - Martin & Tina Z (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 19, 2009 at 19:21

Wednesday, Aug 19, 2009 at 19:21
Yep thought it might open up a can of worms!!! We were talking about it this morning and youve got your 4wd (more your city 4wd)and then youve got your 4WD (the chunky robust, some would say, the real 4WDs) well this fridge is smooth lookin ...a little like the city 4wd....anyway I think the Engel or Evakool might have to be our second fridge or our back up....I need something that will stand the test of time...
Cheers
FollowupID: 646969

Reply By: Member - Martin & Tina Z (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 19, 2009 at 19:10

Wednesday, Aug 19, 2009 at 19:10
Thank you for all of your responses...there are a few names there that keep getting the mention and some have certainly stood the test of time! Perhaps Engel or Evakool will have to be our second fridge or back up.
Yes we could be getting the run around from the service agent but a lack of communication from Waeco isnt helping either...and we are in the Northern Goldfields town of Leinster so we are limited to our service agent to some extent....
Our frustrations started when we had planned a holiday (A LOT of planning) for 12 days travelling from Wiluna along the Gunbarrel thru to the NT and we didnt get our fridge back in time....With 4 kids in a remote area we needed a fridge....instead we packed the esky. We couldnt be so remote for so long....it was to be a trip to be remembered....anyway we still went across but travelled the Great Central there and back....still good....the Gunbarrel will have to wait for another day.
well hopefully the fridge comes back before our next holiday.....Its hard going back to an esky....spec with the 4 kids!!!

Cheers to you all and happy travels
Tina
AnswerID: 379597

Sponsored Links